Monday 29 September 2008

Godflesh Messiah

The past year or so, one of the bands I have spent most time listening to is Jesu. Check them out if you can be arsed. The myspace lists them as "Metal / Shoegaze / Electronica". Sounds weird, but works. The main dude in the "band" is a chap by the name of Justin K Broadrick, whose previous band was called Godflesh. So I figured I would check this band out. I checked online & it seems that they released about 400 records, which is not good. I don't think I am interested enough to try to track them all down. Yet. But I did pick one up on eBay recently (because it was relatively cheap) was the Messiah ep. This was originally released as a cd ep back in 1994, but the folks at Relapse saw fit to reissue it on vinyl earlier this year:

Relapse have a pretty cool habit of pressing 100 copies on clear vinyl of every release, which are not for public consumption, but rather for the band and friends of the band/label. So any Relapse clear vinyl pressings are hard to find and, if they appear on eBay, usually go for a lot of money. Except, for some reason, this one didn't.


A decent enough start to a potential collection here... although I am not sure whether I can be bothered going much further. Although, that said, I do really want the Sub Pop 7"...

3 comments:

Handsome Pete said...

I'm the opposite. I've been a fan of Godflesh for years. But have never heard Jesu.

I didn't know there was any connection.

Now I need to pick something up.

bicyclepirate said...

I like Godflesh much better than Jesu, although the new split with Battle of Mice is alright. If you are going to keep checking out Godflesh, definitely listen to Streetcleaner and Pure, those are their classic albums. Selfless isn't bad either, but after that, their later albums have a lot of techno-like beats that I don't get into very much.

mcs said...

Thanks for the tip!