Thursday 11 September 2008

Never Enough Time!

Internet message boards. I love them and I hate them. Places where people who have nothing to say talk non-stop. But I'm prepared to pick through the nonsense to find some interesting news/information/gossip. And occasionally, people list records for sale and invite readers to make offers. And sometimes they actually have good stuff. This is good because it avoids having to go through the farce of eBay. I made some offers via a messageboard last week & the goods arrived this week in good shape. Typically though, I wasn't happy. I got stressed by the number of records I had just bought, since I couldn't see where I was going to find the time to actually listen to them. The worst part of growing up and getting old seems to be that there is never enough time to do everything, made even worse by myself recently because I just joined a gym, which I need to devote time to at least three times a week. Nightmare!

Anyway, after initially panicking about the time needed to listen to the pile of records before me, I then calmed down & realised that there was nothing to worry about after all, since everything I had just bought was just a variation of a record I already had. This is good news because it means I don't need to waste my time listening to them at all. I can just put them away in boxes. Or, rather, I can add them to the piles on my floor, since I haven't found time in the past year to actually put my new records into boxes.

Here's what I picked up...


1134 final 7". This was the first release on Livewire records. This version has a green, numbered sleeve, which I had never heard of or seen before. I went to the discography, but it isn't listed. I'll have to find out what the crack is with this one. Anyway, I picked up number 27, which I am stoked about.


Champion 1st 7" with Side By Side sleeve. I already have this, but the sleeve is not in mint condition, so this is a replacement. Plus this new one is also a lower number. Which makes it cooler still. So now I now have a spare copy of this for sale or trade. If you want it, get in touch.


Some Have Heart 7"s:


I get the feeling I could be starting down a long path here. There are about 400 variations of these two 7"s. I have four or five of each now, but there are still more versions that I don't have than I do.

Also, a couple of Have Heart LPs. Thankfully, there aren't 400 versions of the LP. So nothing to worry about here.


Learn 'Life And...' 7" on red. Only 100 of these suckers out there. I had to email Tru Pray to clarify this, since there is no Malfunction discography online anywhere anymore.They need to sort that out ASAP. Don't worry yourself about it though, I'll email them & get it sorted...


Right Brigade / A Poor Excuse split 7". I only ever had one version of this record, the most common colour. Now I have a couple more. Maybe one day I will have as many as Graham Hopper. But I doubt it.



Yet another Rain On The Parade 7":

I'm getting close to having every version of every record this band ever did. This is part of the final press of this record, which includes at least three different sleeve variations. When they came out I thought this was a lame idea. But Matt Smith told me recently that the green, red and blue sleeves were meant as a tribute to the Minor Threat 7". That suddenly makes it seem a damn good idea, so I now want to own them. Shame I didn't buy them when they came out to save myself the hassle of having to track them down 7 years later. Then again, it gives me something to do I guess.


Finally, the Soul Control / I Rise split 7". I was going to pre-order this when it was released, but the colour vinyl sold out in about one day and I missed it. So I'm glad to finally pick it up. I'm also really into the full colour, glossy sleeve on this one.


Thank you for listening!

4 comments:

Mike said...

I was at that Boston Invasion Weekend show in Portland with Right Brigade, AN, and IME. I've got a cool video of the show where Pete gives me the mic to sing This Is Our Time.

Anonymous said...

Good haul!

xroldx said...

Damn I love Rain On The Parade, you also have their full length album?

Rick Smith said...

what are you looking for? for the Champion 1st 7" with Side By Side sleeve?