Saturday 18 October 2008

Seaweed Spanaway LP

I've been listening to Seaweed for 16 years now. I remember buying the "Weak" LP and being excited before I even dropped the needle. I just bought it because the cover looked good. I wasn't let down. Seaweed have never let me down. Such a good band. One of my favourites. I've been listening to them again recently because the band Sinking Ships did a Seaweed cover on a 7" not so long ago. Anyway, I just picked up the "Spanaway" LP on green vinyl:

I got this LP on black vinyl when it came out back in about 1995. It's on Hollywood Records, which is some major label subsidiary. They signed Seaweed and Into Another at about the same time. I guess this was supposed to be the record that broke Seaweed and pushed them to the next level. Oh well. This is 13 years ago, and until only about 4 months ago I had no idea that this album even existed on anything other than black vinyl. I read some throwaway comment somewhere on the internet about the Spanaway record on green vinyl. I couldn't believe it. So I added it to my want list and then, a couple of weeks back, it popped up on eBay, at which point I knew it was mine no matter what it cost. In the end it only cost $39, which I thought wasn't bad. But in a bizarre & ironic twist, the green vinyl turns out to be some licensed UK pressing, so it must have been pretty common over here when it came out. Typical.

11 comments:

Lins87 said...

Nice "bright" green vinyl there!

Lins87 said...

also if I recal didn't alan cage (burn, beyond) play in seaweed?

mcs said...

Yes, it's a horrible colour green, but it does kinda match the lighter shown on the cover, so it's ok I guess. At least someone took the trouble to match the vinyl colour to the artwork.

And yes, Alan Cage did play in Seaweed for a period, although not on this LP. At this point he was still rocking in Quicksand. He played on the "Actions & Indications" LP that came out on Merge three years later, which is also a good record.

Anonymous said...

I saw Seaweed twice at the Newcastle Riverside the second time was when they supported the Screaming Trees and Alan Cage was drumming that night.

Cam

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention , this is a great blog !

Cam

Junk Food said...

I was supposed to see this band in Houston a few days ago on the 18th. I was told there tour was cancelled but just postponed until December. Great record.

Anonymous said...

this is what it's all about...damn love this album. When this came out I listened to it in my friend pete's parents minivan on cassette I think. so cool.

Unknown said...

Holy shit! I love this vinyl and I didn't know it existed in another color than black. This album changed my life! I attended a concert of them here in Brazil in 1999. It was the best show of my life!

Unknown said...

Where on earth can i find one of these???

mcs said...

All I can suggest is eBay, which is where I found mine.

Mark said...

The guitars and vocals on this record are ridiculously out of tune.