Monday 16 March 2009

Clouds - We Are Above You

The second album by Clouds, "We Are Above You", came out a good couple of months ago. I wanted to order this when it came out, but the price put me right off. Hydrahead wanted $20 for the record (it's a double LP) and also $20 postage. With the current exchange rate that would have been circa £29 in real money, which to me seems utterly ridiculous. So I abandoned the order hoping that I would be able to pick it up cheaper at some later date. This weekend I was in London and found it in HMV on Oxford Street. It was £25. I was so stoked at finding something half-decent in HMV that I momentarily lost my mind and decided to just buy it. I was happy to pay less than it would have cost me to get it from Hydrahead, although £25 for a new album is still a total rip-off. Overall I think there's something severely wrong with the world when you can buy something in HMV cheaper than ordering direct from the label. To get to HMV it's been through a distributor, who have added a mark-up, and then HMV will have added their own mark-up. And still it's less than ordering from the States.

If you've never heard this band, they play some loud-ass rock music and feature they guy from Cave In who looks like the guy from Piebald.

www.myspace.com/cloudsrock

2 comments:

jhulud said...

Great, great, great record. Did I mention that it's great? I wrote a review of this for Mammoth Press and best way to describe it is "I was at a basement party, and a Clouds show broke out!"...this record embodies the snot-nosed fun and attitude of punk.

Anonymous said...

You got to figure that HMV is ordering mega amounts of records, and getting a discount on shipping as well as per piece. I just paid 49,28 Euros for 2 From Monument to Masses LPs shipped w/ no insurance. Got them from Golden Antenna. Lot of cash. I think they also jack it cause of the international shipping tax.
Yo you get the Milhouse rip? I sent it, hope it went through.