Thursday 2 April 2009

Forgotten Trade

Apologies for the lack of updates recently. Posting on here has definitely slowed down, due to the exchange rate. Only a few months ago I was getting something new every two or three days, and now I'm getting maybe one parcel a week. Things are gonna get better for the next few days though, since I've just received a few items in the last couple of days.

Anyway, on to today's update... I did a rare "in person" trade a couple of weeks ago, but I'm only just getting around to posting about it here because I placed the records in a stupid place in my room, so I immediately forgot about them (I guess I probably wouldn't have misplaced them if they were exciting though, haha!). First up is an Ignition 7":

I'm not a big Ignition fan if I'm honest. I always thought they were one of the weaker Dischord bands. I have the CD with everything on, and it never really grabbed me as anything special. I still wanted this 7" though. I like the art and the vinyl colour. This one also comes on blue. Both colours seem to sell for about $15 these days. Not a bad price for a Dischord half number, in my opinion. Anyway, if someone can tell me about Ignition I'd appreciate it. Tell me something that is gonna make me more excited than I am now. Please.

Second 7" is a Wind Of Change 7" called "A Promise Kept" (inspiration for the Champion LP name perhaps?)

I guess the most noteworthy point of this 7" is that it's on Step Forward Records, which is the label that released the first pressing of the Unit Pride 7".

I like it when the record contains pressing info. As you can see, there were 1000 copies of this one made back in June 1988.

This was just before I started skateboarding. I guess the me of 1988 would have found this band cool as hell... although, looking back, it's difficult for me to take a band seriously who looked like this:

(Photo borrowed from Double Cross)

It's not often that a record makes me laugh, but this one did. Check it here:

I just love how they apologise for messing up and missing a song off the record, yet at the same time tell you that if you want to hear it you have to spend more money. Fantastic!

If you want to read a recent interview with one of the dudes in the band, there's a good one on Double Cross HERE

4 comments:

Mike said...

That Ignition vinyl looks great. I'm not a huge fan either. They are okay, but nothing too special in my eyes.

PETE said...

A band featuring Alec MacKaye, Chris Bald, Dante Ferrando and Chris Thomson should get some kind of enthusiasm happening? I had 'Complete Services' for years and although I liked it I didn't have them pegged as my favourite Dischord band. That is until the past few years where I'd say Ignition was an extremely important band. Everything about them embodies great hardcore, the lyrics and vocals are amazing, the music and songwriting is top notch, and all with a very forward thinking approach. If you can't get excited by tracks like 'Proven Hollow', 'Rebuilding' or 'Revision' then I really don't know what to suggest?

PETE said...

Sorry, that post wasn't meant to be anon

mcs said...

Hey Pete, thanks for your comment. I agree with what you say. A band featuring those people really SHOULD excite me. But what I'm saying is that the songs just don't grab me & shake me the way that (say) Minor Threat or Embrace do. I'm really hoping to find a way to appreciate this band more than I do now. Admittedly, I've always played the 'Complete Services' CD all the way through, and the songs kind of blend into each other & I get a little bored. I guess I never really got hooked by any individual songs. Maybe I need to concentrate on a couple of specific songs? I'll try the three you suggest. I shall play them repeatedly to see if my opinion can be changed. Thanks!