Sunday 24 May 2009

Power Of The Lion

Iceburn. One of the weirdest bands ever to make it onto both Victory Records and Revelation Records. Fact - I would never have listened to them if they had been on any other label. But back then Victory & Revelation were labels you could trust, and I would buy anything & everything they put out. Iceburn were different, but they kinda rocked. The first LP, "Firon" was great. I listened to that a lot. The second LP, "Hephaestus", was also great. The third LP, "Poetry Of Fire" I also managed to get into, although it took more perseverance (by this time they were getting more jazz influenced and just a little too weird). The fourth LP was weirder still, as they changed name to "The Iceburn Collective" and morphed into some experimental band whose material was improvised, and less guitar focused. I wasn't into it. Then they had a final album, "The Power Of The Lion" which was self-released and on CD only, and which I never heard. I wasn't interested. This was 1998. And now, eleven years later, Southern Lord have put this out on vinyl. Being on Southern Lord, I figured that I must have missed a trick all those years ago, and the final album must have been dark and heavy. So I decided to pick it up. It's a double LP, and (as with all Southern Lord releases) the packaging is top notch:

This is the first time I have ever seen printing INSIDE the sleeve. Nice touch.

Brown vinyl is for mailorder only. I don't think I've seen this colour before. Looks nice:

Turns out the album is probably the most experimental thing they've done. I'm not into it. I guess I should have figured that out before spending my money. Oh well. At least it LOOKS nice.

No comments: