Wednesday 6 May 2009

Road Trip! Part II (The LPs)

My last post was about my road trip to the south coast. I picked up a lot of stuff and spent a lot of money. So to continue with that theme, here are the LPs I came away with...

First up, an LP by Abhinanda. I never liked this band on principle. I saw them play with 108 in 1995 and they interrupted 108's set to hold a pillow fight. That would usually be alright in the context of rock n roll, but in this instance I found it annoying because the venue only had about ten people there and it pretty much caused 108 to abandon playing. Disrespectful in my opinion. So I never listened to Abhinanda after this. But a couple of years ago I asked Pete from Bane what he had been listening to, and he surprised me by saying Abhinanda. So I figured I would trust his judgement and maybe give them a chance.

The next one I bought just for the vinyl itself. The Acrid / Left For Dead saw-shaped thing. Like some kind of retard, I never actually heard this before, but I know it's gonna rock hard... but even if it doesn't, I'm gonna want to keep this just because it looks cool:

This may sound funny to the me of 1994, but I was totally stoked to pick up the second Bob Tilton LP. I didn't like this band when they were about, but after they broke up I got into them. Never heard the second LP though, and this copy is in mint condition:

Next, a Cro-mags LP. Not in great condition, but it was cheap.

As I mentioned in the previous post about 7"s, I decided to check out Econochrist for the first time. Here's another record of theirs I grabbed:

This next one is an album that I remember flicking past & not being interested in many times in the early 90s - the second Face Value LP. I passed on it simply because I thought the cover sucked. I figure its now time to give it a chance.

This next one is interesting. A Fire Party LP. I never heard Fire Party, but I would say that on the whole I have been a latecomer to some of the later Dischord releases, so figured I would give this band a chance.

Dude also had a test press of the same Fire Party LP, so I figured I might as well pick that up too:

Next is the first Lifetime LP. This is one of the only New Age releases from the 90s that I never owned, which was mainly due to the fact that it was never pressed on colour vinyl. I just figured I needed to pick it up to fill a whole in my New Age collection.

I used to love The Metroschifter. I own all their records. I own two versions of their first LP. In fact, that's not true - I now own three versions. This is the Conversion Records re-press that came out in the mid-late 90s. Again, one that I passed on when it came out, but I would now like to add it to the collection for the sake of completeness.

Here's an interesting one. The Starkweather 'Into The Wire' LP on pink. I have to say, I like pink records. Not sure what that says about me to be honest. Anyway, pink is second press. First press was purple, which I got from the label back when it came out. I added this album to my ipod recently and enjoyed listening to it again for the first time in a long time.

I also picked up a copy of the Supertouch LP. Previously, the only version I had of this was a test press. So I thought it was only right that I also add a regular version to my collection. I would also like to point out that this was the most difficult record to photograph of any record ever, because of the black and super glossy cover.

Next, a white vinyl copy of the Up Front 'Spirit' LP. I used to own this years ago but traded it away. It's cool to get it back, although I am disappointed that the inner sleeve on this copy has been repaired using sticky tape. Damnit. Oh well, it was cheap I suppose...

At this point I would just like to make a statement - I don't like Warzone. Or War Zone (I have never been sure which is most correct - does it have a space or not? Juding from the records, the band themselves could never make their mind up). I maybe like two songs, the rest I'm just not into. I did, however, always WANT to like Warzone. Something about them tells me I should like them even though I don't. Anyway, considering I don't like them, its funny that I bought three of their albums. The first one:

The second one:

And some sketchy one on Victory where they do covers of Antidote and Youth Of Today:

And finally, a record that I chose to not buy when it came out because I thought it was pointless - the Anti Matter comp:

Clearly I was an idiot to never buy this. It contains the best Supertouch song of all time.

Well there you go. That's Part 2 done with. Next up is (surprisingly) Part 3, which is the items that I picked up that I already own...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll love that Left For Dead split if you're into the powerviolence thing, it's a pretty great record! I can't speak too highly of the 2nd Warzone album, but "Don't Forget The Struggle" is so good, just an awesome high energy NY record, on par with Victim In Pain IMHO....That Econochrist album still gets heavy rotation from me....

Mike said...

The Left For Dead side of that record is beyond awesome. The Acrid side sucks shit. The first two Bob Tilton 7 inches were amazing. I've had a CDR of their second album for about 10 years, which by coincidence I just listened to the other day...I made it about half way through it before I took it out of the CD player and dropped it in the trash.

hows yr edge said...

I know you're european and all, but that doesn't mean you are a communist right? Who the fuck does NOT like WarZone? That's just bullshit, man. I demand you re-spin the first EP. Maybe you just forgot how awesome it is.

Lins87 said...

the first two warzone lps rock hard. That's all I have to say.

Anonymous said...

I'm not too stoked on "Open Your Eyes", it's just too "crossover" for me. Lower East Side Crew is an incredible record though. Mike, I couldn't agree more about Acrid, one of the worst of the worst of 90's HC!

mcs said...

Yo... on your advice I re-span the first Warzone ep. And guess what? Yup, it's still the worst thing on Revelation.

Lukin said...

If you didn't like the Abhinanda LP I wouldn't mind buying it from you. Let me know if you're up for it. Or maybe you know where to find another vinyl copy of it? :)