Thursday 10 December 2009

Lard Test Press

One of the first records I bought when I was about 17 was an album called 'The Last Temptation Of Reid' by a band called Lard. Lard is/was Jello Biafra on vocals and Ministry playing the tunes. I think I got into it because there was a song on a skate video. Anyway, this was about 1992, and about a year later I started getting into hardcore and straight edge, and whatever other stuff, and I pretty much stopped paying attention to Alternative Tentacles.

Well, I always assumed that Lard was a short-lived project for Biafra circa 1990 or whenever. So I was pretty surprised to find out recently that Lard actually made more records. There was another album in about 1997 and a 12" EP in 2000. Now granted, this isn't exactly "news" since both releases are pretty old now. But it was news to me. And I only found out because I stumbled across a test press of one on eBay... which I subsequently bought. So here it is:

Not exactly much to look at huh? This is what the cover of the regular version looks like (not that I've ever seen it!):

The auction claimed that the record was straight out of Jello Biafra's collection. I'm not sure I believe that. But regardless, it's pretty funny that I now seem to have stooped to buying tests of records that I don't own a regular version of or have never heard.

9 comments:

Mike said...

This is the one Lard recording that I've never heard. Cool band, but not one that I listen to very often.

Alternate 1995 said...

I stoop to this level all the time. Welcome

Handsome Pete said...

Lard is great.

I never met an Al Jourgensen project I didn't like.

Dobek Ohashi said...

Another one of your posts that in a way concides with what I have been up to recently. I used to really listen to LARD a lot, and I mean alot when that first LP came out. I was into it because I was into the DK since like 1st or 2nd grade of elementary school. My most vivid memory of LARD is when I caught a ride to Normandie from Deutschland when I was 14 and hitchhiking across Europe.
The dude was a student of visual arts at Bauhaus school of Art in Weimar. He took me all the way to Northern France and we are still friends to this day. One of the CDs he had in his car was the 2nd LARD album. He said he bought it because it just came out and his friend told him it was good. We played that a lot in the car. Now, I never owned any LARD vinyl for some reason but I kept seeing those records almost everytime going to record shops here in Japan. There were truly dozens of them everywhere for anything between $3 to $7 so I always thought that one day I will buy them but was somehow putting it off, for years now...
Anyway, last week I finally decided to buy them all. And have been listening to all 3 all week :)

Now I have to mention that I have never seen nor heard of the one you got the test press of. I just looked it up on the internet and it says it's a new EP released in 2000. I will try to find the mp3s of it later on and will probably buy it eventually if/when I see it in a shop because what's the point of owning 3 records when you can have 4?

Handsome Pete said...

I have MP3s of it if you still need them.

Dobek Ohashi said...

Cheers mate,
I already found it on mediafire here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tmyjmdz3wam

Listening to it as I type this and it's not that bad. I don't know shit about rock music but the typical biafra piss taking lyrics + GnRque music makes for a good laugh for sure.
I am buying this record.

I was cruisin' in a car
Down Melrose Boulevard
When I stopped all the traffic
I was laughin' so hard
Standin' on the corner
Was this rock n roll dude
In leather pants thinkin' he was cool
He had the jacket
He had the shades
Farrah Fawcett hair
Or was that a wig
Face like a turtle
Trying in vain to look stoned
You could tell he'd been practicing
At home in the mirror
He'd probably been posing like that all day
Didn't matter that is was a hundred degrees
In the shade

Well c'mawn, well c'mawn
Seventies rock must die
Well c'mawn, well c'mawn
Seventies rock must die

Bogus bands, plastic rock stars
Stupid clothes and the worst made cars
Country rock making us all sick
While John Travolta wags his double-knit prick

Dobek Ohashi said...

On a related subject, I took it one step further and yesterday bought JB + DOA and JB + NOMEANSNO LPs, both bearing a hefty $3 price tag :)

mcs said...

I never heard either of those records, funnily enough. But I did download the Tumor Circus LP recently. I always liked that one. I bought the record that he did with Mojo Nixon too years ago when it came out, but it was shite and I got rid of it.

Dobek Ohashi said...

I have never heard neither Tumor Circus nor the Mojo Nixon records. I need to give em a go.