Saturday 30 January 2010

Descendents ALL

So I have noticed something kinda weird recently - sealed records on eBay seem to sell for less. In the past few months I found three sealed LPs for sale on eBay, all of which have sold for way less than the usual price. The third and latest example is the Descendents 'ALL' LP:

I'm admittedly a new Descendents fan. I only really started listening to them about six months ago after I decided to give them a second chance, because a long time had passed since I initially decided I didn't like them somewhere round 1994. So I only really just started looking around for their records. I'm not really sure what's out there, or how much things are worth, but I knew that I really like the 'ALL' LP, so when I spotted this sealed LP on eBay I figured I wanted it. I was then happy to end up winning it, and for a very reasonable $66. Popsike had kinda suggested that colour Descendents LPs usually go over $100, so I think I got a pretty good deal.

I can only assume that people don't like bidding on a sealed LP because they can't see the record, and are worried that it might not actually be color at all. Me, I just figure you can't lose. If you buy it & it turns out not be be colored as advertised then you have a solid case for a refund. If you do win, you get a good deal. Anyway, as any decent human would do, as soon as I received it, I broke the seal to reveal the record within:

I had seen this one on both blue and grey vinyl before, so it was a 50-50 chance. I was hoping for blue. But since I always lose on a 50-50 gamble, I got grey:

I THINK that the color vinyl of this record is a tour press. That's what people who have it in their collections seem to think. I haven't got a clue. It does have a pic of the band inside and mentions the ALL tour. Dunno if this is because this record was supposed to be for a tour, or whether it's just a pic taken on the tour that found it's way into a later color vinyl pressing. I didn't think bands made special tour pressings until only a few years ago. Anyone know for sure what the crack is with this?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know the blue vinyl is a tour press for sure, not sure about grey though...

Rick Smith said...

I have a original copy of this on black and it has the same "ALL tour" insert with lyrics on the back. I don't know anything about the grey and blue vinyl thou.

Anonymous said...

Weird, I have the same impression about ebay and sealed lp's

Anonymous said...

the color pressings were issued like 3 years after the first press...
no "tour press"...