Tuesday 23 March 2010

Little Green Fucker

I can't believe I got sucked into this crap. The Gorilla Biscuits toy (made by Super 7) seemed cool at first. They made up a toy of the gorilla from the cover of the GB 7" for the Australia & Japan tour of 2008. As soon as I saw a picture of one, I wanted it. I emailed a friend in Australia, and it turned out he was going to the show and had no problem in buying one of these things for me. Cool. Then, a few months later, the sneaky buggers made a "second press" yellow gorilla (just like the second press record), and I couldn't resist picking that one up too. And then, wouldn't you know it, they then went and made a third version, on green. By this point, I had reached a weird place. I mean, I wanted the thing, but all of a sudden I was starting to resent paying for something that I saw as useless plastic junk. I mean, these things were not cheap. I began to worry about my own sense of control. I started to wonder how many they could make before I would call it a day and not buy them. But like a fool, I still went ahead and paid for the third version, because I couldn't quite resist, even though I wanted to.

What happened next seriously pissed me off. The thing got delivered... but instead of getting a box with a toy inside, all I got was a note from the post office telling me that the package was waiting to be collected at the depot... but in order to collect it, I would first need to pay the import tax and clearance fee. Yup - after already paying some stupid amount like $65 for this thing, and then being forced to shell out another $30 or so for priority mail shipping (which was the only option, even though I didn't really want to pay for a priority service), I was then going to have to pay out more of my hard earned cash for the postman to be able to hand it over. I was gutted. I didn't want to pay. I started to resent myself for buying the thing in the first place. But then I realised I was in a no win situation - if I paid, then that would be $30 gone. But if I didn't pay, the thing would be sent back to the States, and then I would have to pay another $30 to have it sent back over again. The third and final option would be to have it sent back and then ask for a refund, but then they would only give me a refund on the cost of the item, not the postage. So whichever of the 3 options I went for was going to cost me $30... which seemed unfair. There seemed no way round paying out yet more than I had already paid, which I wasn't entirely happy about paying in the first place. Ugh! Not good!

Well, fate then intervened. That same evening, I fell over and dislocated my elbow, and then didn't go back to work (where my mail is delivered) for a month. After seriously injuring myself, I didn't give a second thought to the stupid toy until a month later, when I returned to work. But by this time, because nobody had been to collect it, the package had been returned to the sender. By this point I didn't actually give a shit. There seemed more important things in life to worry about. So I then ignored the issue for a couple of months, simply because every time I thought about the thing I got annoyed. Finally i decided that this was something that I should resolve, since I had already forked out $90, so I emailed Super 7 and asked about having the thing sent back over. They agreed to send it again (which I would have to pay for) but they agreed to not declare the value so that hopefully I would not get hit for the import tax again. I didn't reply straight back, because I wasn't in a hurry to spend another $30, so I just kinda thought about it for a bit, and mulled over just asking for a refund. SO then another two months or so went by. Again, I was not in a hurry and didn't really care too much about it. But I reached the point where I figured that the time had come to finally sort it out. I was so fed up of thinking about the money that these pieces of junk had cost me that I had pretty much decided that I was going to get the third one & then just sell all three on eBay. It was more about taking a stand and deciding not to get sucked in anymore. I realised that, in total, I would have spent something like $250 on these three toys, and I hated both the toys and myself for this. I felt like a sucker, I wanted my money back, and I never wanted to buy any toys again. So I emailed Super 7 and said I would pay the shipping to have the thing sent, so could they tell me what to do.

A few weeks passed & I got no reply. So I emailed again. And I got no reply to this email either. And every couple of days I would remember the whole saga and get further annoyed by it and wish that I hadn't bought the damn thing in the first place. And then I got so sick of waiting that I just decided to phone the place up. So I called up and spoke to a nice dude called Josh who confirmed that my box was still there. And then something good happened for once - he offered to send it out at no charge, to make up for the fact that they had ignored my last couple of emails. And that's exactly what they did. And a week or so later, it turned up. And, wouldn't you know it, as soon as it arrived I thought it was the best thing ever. Way better than the previous two, because it comes in a little wooden box, in homage to the GI Joe figures that Rev used to trade records for back in the day.

So there you go - without doubt the best piece of useless plastic junk I ever bought :o)

9 comments:

jhulud said...

Although fraught with expressed frustration and annoyance, this was definitely a very entertaining story. Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

now you just need the clear, black, and red versions! ha

ps. collecting anything is useless but we all love it!

Anonymous said...

haha~ funny! thank you for your share~ ........................................

anthony said...

this is a fantastic story

Alternate 1995 said...

I'm really proud that I never fell into the toy trap. Fucking toys are expensive. Hell these things are expensive aannnddd they're actually pretty cheap comparatively...if that makes any sense.

mike said...

hey ! wanna sell all the figures ??

mcs said...

Not really. But I could be persuaded to change my mind if you make me a mindblowing offer.

MIKE said...

Write me please !
Nofx83nofx@tiscali.it

Thanx

mike said...

wanna leave me your mail address ??