Friday 9 April 2010

2 Tests, 1 LP, an Advance, a Comp & some stickers

One of the benefits of doing this stupid blog is that sometimes people get in touch with me and offer me records that they are selling. And sometimes, I end up taking them off their hands and being stoked. So, in a way, this blog pays for itself... except, of course, the only person actually paying any money is me. So I guess what I mean is, this damn thing costs me money. Goddamn stupid blog!

Well, recently some dude called Javier got in touch with me & sent me a link to one of his many blogs (this guy seems to be involved in pretty much every blog under the sun in some way). The blog was simply a list of records for sale (and if you're smart, you can probably now find this list for yourself!). So I found a few bits that I was interested in, and then, a couple of weeks later, those very items magically appeared at my house! Here's a brief run-down of what was inside...

First up is a 7" that I didn't even know existed until a few short weeks ago. This is a Count Me Out 7" on Malfunction Records. I already had 5 versions of this 7" in different sleeves and vinyl colors, one of which I bought when it came out many moons ago, and the rest of which I picked up about three years ago over the course of a couple of months during a period when everyone seemed to be offloading CMO 7"s on eBay. But this one I had never seen or heard of before. It comes in the 'regular' Sid & Nancy sleeve and is on black vinyl:

And when you open the sleeve, it's the same as the 'regular' version except for the little bit of text in the bottom right corner:

Oh, and the back is held together by a small sticker:

Great record. I guess that's why I now have 6 copies of the thing. I think the only one I don't have is the test.

Next up, a band that have been flavour of the month from me recently. The Descendents. Seems like only last month (probably because it was) that I picked up the original pressing of their debut LP 'Milo Goes To College'. But now I have the SST grey vinyl pressing too:

And now I know the answer to the question I asked last month. The answer is no, not really:

I'm digging the SST colour pressings right now. With Chuck Dukowski selling stuff on eBay, its been interesting to see colors of records I didn't know existed, which has reignited my interest in SST releases. Hopefully there will be more coming my way in future.

This next record is has been on my want list since I first made a want list. I have been outbid on it on eBay a couple of times over the years, although never really chased it hard or bid much for it. But when I saw it on Javier's list I knew the time had come. The 'Words To Live By, Words To Die For' compilation 7" on New Age Records on yellow vinyl:

This was one of the first 7"s I got when I first discovered straight edge hardcore. What a great line-up and a great comp. I love the picture that forms the centre spread in the booklet that comes with this thing:

While I'm on the subject of this 7", it seems a good time to mention that I happen to have a spare copy of this on clear vinyl if anyone wants it. Ideally I'd like to trade, but I'll consider selling it if someone makes a fair offer. Get in touch kids!

This next record is one of those where I am convinced I am the only person in the world that cares about it. This is a 10" record by a band called Kill The Messenger. This record was released by Indecision Records back in 1999. It featured John Coyle (previously vocalist for Outspoken) on vocals and also had Dennis Remsing (owner of Conversion Records) on drums. They sounded like good era Black Flag. I love this record & still play it from time to time, so am stoked to have bagged this test press... even if it is a ten inch... and boy, do I hate ten inch records.

And just for fun, here's a picture of it next to the limited blue version that I bought when it came out:

And finally, another Indecision Records test press. This one is for the Unity 7" that Indecision re-released in 1999 (the original being the first release on the legendary Wishingwell records).

OK, so it's a test press of a reissue, but still a nice one to have none the less.

And to close out, I took of a pic of some stickers that were also inside the package:

These will be going straight into my sticker collection. But that's another story entirely...

8 comments:

Dobek Ohashi said...

> This was one of the first 7"s I got when I first discovered straight edge hardcore.

Interestingly, in my case it was not "one of the", it was precisely the 1st ever straight edge vinyl I bought after I discovered straight edge.

Before that I only had Dead Kennedys (as far as American HC goes) and UK 1977 punk records.

David McHank said...

Hey, just randomly found your blog while looking up some colored vinyl. I saw your wants list and sent Jon Bunch a link to the blog. I can't promise you anything but I figured if anyone might have a copy of those Reason To Believe records it might be him.

-cja said...

never knew about the Descendents on grey vinyl! looks way rad. is it a repress? i just have the New Alliance press.

mcs said...

Yeah, the greay vinyl Descendents LP is the SST reissue. Not sure if there are more colours of that one though. Some of the later SST albums exist on more than one colour.

-cja said...

repress or not, it looks really good. i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one.

mcs said...

There's one on ebay right now:

HERE

-cja said...

thanx for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

Interested in selling or trading any stickers?