Thursday 29 April 2010

Fastbreak 'Where It Lies' 7"

I like Fastbreak. And because of this, I have all their records. Well, I do now. But one managed to elude me for about 13 years, which is their second 7", 'Where It Lies', on Stand Hard Records. I just picked it up recently:

There were only 250 of these in total, all on black vinyl, numbered on the back of the sleeve:

Clearly numbering the back of the sleeve was deemed insufficient form of numbering, so they also numbered the paper dust sleeve as well:

Because I had never seen this before, I didn't know much about it. But the insert is interesting. It says that the four songs on this 7" were recorded for two compilations ('East Coast Assault Part 2' and a Blackout! Records compilation). I have no idea if either of those compilations ever came out or not. Anyone?

Pretty funny that this has taken me like 12 or 13 years to find. When the band were active, this was in demand and really hard to get. So I did what I always do, and decided to leave it until the frenzy died down a bit. I then got outbid on eBay several times, because I never really bid too much for this, since it was never something I was desperate to get. All of a sudden a ridiculous number of years float by, then I decide that it's stupid to still have it on my want list, spot one on eBay & think "this is the one" and then take it. And then I'm left feeling like an idiot for picking something up long, long after it came out, even though I was around at the time. I mean, seriously, what kind of moron is picking up a Fastbreak 7" for the first time in 2010 (other than 18 year old kids... who probably aren't interested in Fastbreak anyway since they've never heard of them)?

9 comments:

jayb said...

Now I will drive you crazy since I know you are a completist about somethings. There is also a version of this record with a special cover #ed out of 23. There is still 250 pressed but 23 of those have the special cover. i helped make it:)

hows yr edge said...

Shout out to JayB!

Ps. I love Fastbreak.

Pps. Youth. Pride. Fast. Break. GO!

XjamesX said...

Marcus, I have been collecting Fastbreak stuff for a very long time, i'll try and get you a picture of my collection (as well as that list of records to trade with you for OSA asap!)
As mentioned above, there is a version with a cover out of 23. In about 6/7 years of going on ebay (although I don't check ebay all the time anymore) i've seen one with the cover out of 23 come up (about 2 weeks ago as well!!) and stupidly I didn't bid on it (as I found it when it had like 40 seconds left to go!) :(

XjamesX

Anonymous said...

haha, don't hate on the 18 year olds, it's not our fault we weren't alive when it came out x) i love old connecticut hardcore records.

Carlos said...

Marcus
I have been looking for this record for a long time...every time i see it on ebay i get outbid. If you happen to see an extra copy of it hit me up i definitely want one. Fastbreak were one of my favorite bands from that time period. You should do something on fast cars.

xyosefx said...

East Coast Assault II did indeed come out, CD-only release a loooong time back. Don't know about that other comp though.

paulyissue said...

This record was my most cherished piece of vinyl I owned. The only track that didnt come out on that comp was "At Times".. Is there any way you might be able to upload it? i've missed that record far too long, and theres no way I can find another?

Ivan said...

The Blackout records comp with the FB song also came out as well.

millwalldavey said...

Any way to get a DL of this material????