Wednesday 16 June 2010

COALESCE - the mother lode

Ok, so I get a few records in the mail from time to time. We know that much already. But this package had me more excited than I have been for a long time...

It all started on eBay. I found one of my long-time wants - the "final" pressing of the 'Functioning On Impatience' 12" from 2003. I say "final" because it was supposed to be the final pressing at the time, but it actually got repressed a couple of years ago to celebrate its ten year anniversary. But anyway, I always wanted one of the 2003 final pressing copies because the record rules and it comes in a different sleeve. I've seen this on eBay (and been outbid) many, many times. There are 300 copies in total, so it's not really THAT hard to get. It usually goes for somewhere in the region of $35-40 or so. Well anyway, I spotted one on eBay a few weeks ago which got me more interested than any other copies, because the description claimed this one was number one of three hundred... although there was no picture in the listing. But I decided that the time had come to pick this one up. So I bid, expecting the price to go high... yet I won it for $16! To say I was stoked out be an under-statement. Here are some pics:

The back of the sleeve has the pressing info for all colour vinyl pressings prior to (and including) this version. Nice touch.

Also, this copy is signed. I'm not sure if all of them are signed, or just this one. And I'm not sure who has signed it. I would guess at Sean Ingram, singer for Coalesce and (I think) owner of Blue Collar Distro, who released (or half released) this version of this record. Not how he has signed it & also written '001' too, which I assume is a reference to this copy being number one:

And here's the money shot - the number on the back of the sleeve. If only the seller had put up a picture like this in his listing, he probably could have got a bit more than $16 I would guess:

Well anyway, as usual, I checked out some other items the dude was selling and found another Coalesce record that I wanted. This is a test press of the 'Salt And Passage' 7" that was released in 2007, which was the band's first release since their last one, which had been about eight years earlier. I remember three years ago when this was announced, there were about two thousand colour variations for sale, and the rare ones sold out in two seconds. So I just never got around to picking it up. Until now. This marks my only copy of this record. And I don't think I am too fussed about trying to get more to be honest. This will do.

The paper dust sleeve has the Second Nature Records logo embossed on it, which is a nice touch if you ask me:

So that was my eBay winnings. I was more than happy with this. But somehow the story didn't end there. The next day I got a message from the seller asking if I would be interested in any more Coalesce rarities. My answer was simple - "yes, but it depends what you have and how much you want". I was then offered three records. I was told they were $40 each, or I could have all three for $100. I decided to pay the dude $100 before he could change his mind. I think this was a smart move. I am convinced that this was a really good deal. Here's what I got...

First, a clear vinyl pressing of the 'OX' LP. As you may or may not know, Relapse Records press 100 copies of every record they release on clear vinyl, but these records are not for sale - they are given to the band and friends of the band and label only. So anything on Relapse on clear vinyl usually sells for top dollar - especially if it's by Mastodon! Seeing as the only version of this I had previously was the regular, black version, I was happy with this.

Second, a clear vinyl copy of the 'OX EP'. This is a 12" ep that was released a couple of months after the 'OX' LP. I somehow never got around to picking it up, even though I loved the 'OX' LP last year. But yeah, once again, clear vinyl was not available for Joe Public, so I'm stoked to have one of these. Even cooler, this record also has the logo / cover art screened on the b-side of the vinyl. This thing looks very, very nice:

And finally, I am super stoked on this one... a test press of the 'OX' LP. This one comes in a specially made sleeve, made by Ohio Pride from the Vinyl Collective message board. I feel very lucky to have one of these things.

Total cost of this haul was about $150. A lot to spend at one go, but I'm pretty sure I could sell all this stuff tomorrow for double what I paid. Not that it's about the money, of course. But it's always satisfying to get nice items for a good price.

8 comments:

-cja said...

i love the artwork for all but the last one (it's whatever). i just found an LP of theirs released by No Idea on grey for $2 at a local store. i'm not a huge fan of theirs but for $2, why not?

Alternate 1995 said...

Joe from OP is pretty top notch with his custom sleeves.
And I'm always worried when someone says 1 of xxx. I'm thinking they mean one of xxx, not like #1. That missing picture cost him so cash for sure.

jhulud said...

Wow...just wow. That is insanely awesome. Nice scores Marcus!

Sean said...

Hey man this is Sean from coalesce, Javier from 18v sent me!

On that foi, that is number one for sure. There were a handful of split fountain blue to yellow covers printed on that didn't really make it out too. I found a pile of uncut and unfolded ones at work last week destined for the trash before I saved them. That is indeed my signature too. That's my writing on the test press too.

As a matter of fact, your stash there appears to be a care package I gave someone. I'd love to know who it was, I'd rather give them to someone who will love them rather than sell them.

Joe profit is the best too. I always try to hold back one of everything for him. He gets me stoked how he wants to be a part of his favorite bands in any capacity. We made sure the ox test presses had his mark. There were hardly any of those made and we barely got any.

Anyways, it's exciting to see that something we were a part of made someones day. And check out "through sparrows I rest" on oxep. For whatever reason people took oxep to be a throw away record for us, but it's not. It's probably my favorite coalesce record and that song, I think, is our finest moment. My daughter even screams with me on that song.

Good hunting- Sean

Guav said...

It's "mother lode" or "motherlode," by the way :)

mcs said...

Holy crap, i never knew that! Thanks!

Guav said...

Just hearing it spoken, someone would have no reason to think it wasn't "motherload," plus that kinda makes more sense when used in the context of something like this—like "look at this huge load of stuff" haha

mcs said...

Guav - thanks for at least sympathising with my ignorance! I agree, 'load' would appear to make more sense in this context, but that doesn't change that it's wrong. Still, I would like to think that you are in the minority here. Not many people would know the word 'lode'. So I don't feel too stupid.

On a different note while I have your attention - you still hold the record for slowest mail order I ever received. I sent you $10 for an Earth Crisis 7" in 1996 and about 2 years 3 months later the record came. I still wheel that story out from time to time when people complain about having to wait two months for something, in a "hey, that's nothing" kinda style :o)