Monday 7 June 2010

Let Down 7" = Annoying

When Six Feet Under Records put a whole host of stuff up on eBay recently, I ended up watching about thirty things. But in the end, most were going for more than I wanted to pay, so I ended up bidding on (and winning) only one item... a variant of the Let Down 7" on Dead By 23 Records that I didn't previously have. According to the auction, this is "one of 50 gold ink screened covers sent out to preorder customers":

As you can see, the 7" itself comes in a black envelope with the Dead By 23 logo printed on in gold ink. It looks nice. Also, for those of you who haven't seen this 7" before, the cover unfolds into a cool picture, as shown here:

As much as I like collecting records, and cool packaging, this one annoys me. Why? Because the record is sealed in the envelope!

I have no intention of opening this. It's stuck down firmly and the only way to open the envelope would be to tear it, which would clearly ruin it, and which clearly wouldn't be right. But at the same time, not being able to play a record is also clearly not right. How goddamn annoying!

5 comments:

-cja said...

take a hair dryer to the seal? it should warm the flap enough to open it and retain the envelope's integrity.

Mike said...

I've got something similar on the way...a 3 7 inch set that comes in a stitched envelope that you can only open if you cut the thread.

Dobek Ohashi said...

I honestly fucking hate these "you can only play the record if you destroy the packaging" type of bollocks. I used to have something like that, it escapes me what it whas but the feeling of annoyance remained. I think I still have some post Trial thing Tim Macintosh did where they sealed the demos with the proper SEAL. Like the king's official correspondence 400 years ago. I still didnt break that seal. Anyone wants that shit?

Dobek Ohashi said...

Just remembered. I think it was the STAY GOLD "friends press" on Anchor that had this fucked packaging.

mcs said...

Yeah, I have that Stay Gold friends press thing. But mine was only sealed with like two small dabs of glue. It opened really easily with the packaging looking completely unaffected afterwards.