Thursday 3 June 2010

Test Press Stress

I've had these two records for a few weeks now. I figure I should get round to posting them, even though I don't have too much to say.

First up, a test press of Quarterstick Records number 1:

For those who don't instantly know record label catalog numbers, this is a test of the Pegboy 'Three Chord Monte' 12" EP. Here it is shown with the regular version:

The dude who I got this from has been selling loads of these one after the other. They mainly sold for somewhere in the region of $50-80. However, this one I won for $20. I guess there were only about 8 people in the world who wanted this, and the other 7 all wanted it much more than I did, but once they all managed to get one there was only me left to grab this one. Worked out well.

Next, a test press of Quarterstick Records number 7:

This is a test of what is (in my opinion) the best Pegboy record, the 'Strong Reaction' LP. Here it is with the regular version:

Now, some nerdery. Notice how the two tests have completely different labels. One has blank labels, the other has Rainbo Records labels:

Well, this pissed me off. Firstly, the 'Strong Reaction' test was obviously pressed in the States, since it has the Rainbo Records labels. However, my regular version of this LP has a completely different matrix to the test. So my conclusion is that my regular version of the record is some crappy euro pressing. This theory is reaffirmed by the fact that it has a London address and the words 'Made In France' written on the back of the sleeve:

Thus, problem number one is that I want a US pressing of this LP now, so that I have a test press and regular pressing that match. I don't want this stupid french bootleg crap. Can anyone in the States tell me whether the back of the sleeve of their record even has the London address at all?

Next up, the 'Three Chord Monte' test is a perfect match for the regular pressing of the record that I have. The matrix matches and everything. However, my regular record also has a UK address on the back. So this kinda suggests that I have a test of the euro pressing rather than the US pressing (although I admit that I am assuming that there are two different pressings at all). Can anyone in the States tell me if their version of the record has the London address on the back of the sleeve? Anyway, problem number two is that I suspect that I have a test press of a crappy euro bootleg version and also a regular version of the crappy euro bootleg to match, neither of which I want. I want the proper US versions.

Fuck, why is it that buying records seems only to cause stress these days? I buy two records and the only affect is that it pisses me off because it makes me want to buy three more. Urgh. Never satisfied.

2 comments:

Lins87 said...

good haul there Marcus. Pegboy are one of those underrated and rarely talked about great bands.

Anonymous said...

quaterstick (and dischord, and...) pressed a lot of stuff in france in the late 80's / early 90's via southern distrib.
that's not bootlegs.