Sunday 15 August 2010

My Friend The Pit

After a week at home without internet access, I'm back, trying to make a dent into this backlog of records I've picked up over the last few weeks...

This one I won on eBay for a bit less than I expected. A clear(ish) pink vinyl copy of the Impact Unit 7" entitled 'My Friend The Pit':

I don't know too much about this band, and the internet doesn't seem to hold too much info either. I guess the main claim to fame this band has is that the vocalist was Dicky Barrett, who went on to sing for The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. This 7" represents, as far as I am aware, their only recorded output, which is/was a demo, recorded circa 1982. This band was a Boston hardcore band around during the first wave of Boston hardcore with bands like DYS & SSD etc. However, the weird thing I always found about this record is that it was only pressed onto wax seven years after it was recorded, and was put out by everyone's favourite German-based hardcore label, Crucial Response Records. I've always been intrigued as to why Impact Unit never had anything released when they were around. Were they only around for a short while? Or did they just not get around to recording? If anyone knows, please comment.

Kinda related but kinda not, whilst searching for Impact Unit info I stumbled across THIS T-SHIRT. God only knows what is going on with the world...

2 comments:

André said...

Marcus, have a look in here if you haven't done so already: http://www.killfromtheheart.com/bands.php?id=685

Lins87 said...

great record....Voorhees covering Night Stalker was cool. Didn't even know this was issued on pink.