Wednesday 18 August 2010

SOIA 'Based On A True Story' LP

Today's entry is the latest album by Sick Of It All, 'Based On A True Story'.

My copy is on blue vinyl. But I have also seen clear and also green for sale on eBay. God knows how many colours there may be.

As the sticker says, it also comes with a CD of the same songs so you don't have to waste your precious time typing the name of the album into google and downloading it from mediafire or rapidshare or something.

I have a funny relationship with Sick Of It All records. I seem to listen to every other one on average. The last one I bought was 'Death To Tyrants' in 2006 which I have probably listened to about once in four years, although part of the reason for that is that I forgot it even existed. I have so much music on my ipod that I have a tendency to forget things that I have added before I have even got around to listening to them. Yet I've listened to this new album about 6 times in the past week. There are also a couple of albums on Fat Wreck Chords that I probably listened to about twice each, yet the albums on Equal Vision were played to death. Pretty funny, especially given that I do really like this band. One moment of clarity came to me in 2002 when I was at the Leeds festival with my then girlfriend watching Foo Fighters, and I looked around and saw loads of mums and dads, and I thought to myself "fuck me, where did my life go so wrong?". I then told my girlfriend that I was going to watch a real band, and waded through the mud to some tent to watch Sick Of It All, whereupon I got involved in a circle pit and also jumped on top of some fat dude. A good way to end a shite weekend! Anyway, this is a damn good record. Even if you think you know SOIA and have heard it all before, I don't think you could deny that this is a good record, and most likely the best one they have done since 'Scratch The Surface'. This reminds me of everything good I ever thought about this band, and even makes me want to go back and check out the other three albums that I didn't really get around to listening to properly despite owning for years. It's just a shame that I missed them play a couple of weeks back because I was painting my walls.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Damn, I've bought every Sick of it All album up to this point. When the new one came out, I decided to skip it...I didn't see the point any more. Death To Tyrants was mediocre at best, so I gave up. After reading your post, I can see that I'm going to have to download and check this out. Damn you.

Anonymous said...

I gave up on SOIA years ago...