Thursday 21 October 2010

Bane 7" Tests

As much as i like Bane, they managed to piss me off last year by releasing 45 new 7"s, all on different labels, on multiple colours of vinyl. Part of my annoyance was because I knew that each new record would have a test press for me to chase, which would take a lot of money and a lot of tracking down. At least, that was the theory. What I didn't count on though was that some dude would stick 3 of the 4 tests on eBay all at the same time. And even though I'm saving money for a new kitchen floor and a mortgage, and I really didn't want to part with money for more records i would never play, i decided to bid on all three. So i put in my bids and then went to bed. I decided to bid less than i have seen these things sell for in the past, because I thought that if I won I would at least be happy that I had got a good deal, whereas if I lost then I would really win because I would save my money for something more boring (yet more useful).

Well anyway, wouldn't you know it - i woke up the next day to find emails telling me i had won all three of the damn things. Whoops! So here they are in order...

Firstly, the first 7" in the series, the Dublin 7". This one comes in a sleeve, which is basically just one of the spare tour sleeves with a number stuck on the front.

The second is the Rome 7" which was put out by the same label. This one doesn't have a sleeve and also features a particularly dodgy looking number 8:

The third is the Boston 7". This one also does not have a sleeve, although it does have the details hand-written on the dust sleeve.

This one is also on red vinyl. Seems that United are sending people coloured tests these days if they are ordering colour vinyl. Not sure why this change of policy seems to have come about. But I guess it keeps things interesting.

I think I now have 8 Bane tests. I think this leaves me with three more to go to have a full house. Having said that, the chances of ever getting two of the three I still need seems highly unlikely. Gotta have something to aim for though.

6 comments:

hows yr edge said...

That's 8 more test presses than I have ... ;)

Alternate 1995 said...

I was wondering if you snagged those. Nice!

Anonymous said...

congrats. it rules you got those. you should take one big bane picture for the blog, i cant be the only person who would love to see it. -geoff

mcs said...

Thanks for the comment Geoff, but there is simply no point until I have a complete collection, else what will happen is I will take a photo and then the week after get another record, making my photo out of date.. and that would annoy me greatly.

Anonymous said...

haha, i know the feeling. i use to take a picture of my rev stuff every now and then but as soon as i did, i would get another record. now i have just scanned them all in and make a collage of them. sadly ive got about 15 rev records that need scanning in and added to that image.

should you ever feel the urge to take the photo, please do! you know i will be keeping my eyes peeled for it.

Anonymous said...

Overnight ebay bids with me thinking that there is no way I'll win, are the ones that I always win!