Sunday 24 October 2010

Godflesh 1st 12"

Some bands seem seasonal to me, and when this time of year comes and the temperature drops and the nights start drawing in, I like music that's every bit as bleak. About 4 or 5 years ago, at about this time of year, I discovered Jesu, and a couple of years back I started to investigate Godflesh, although the fact that they seem to have about 400 records available meant that I didn't really want to get drawn into collecting them. But almost inevitably I started picking them up one by one. Fortunately though, for whatever reason, Godflesh records are surprisingly cheap these days, which makes things a little easier (on the wallet at least).

I was perusing eBay recently and found a copy of the first 12" on clear vinyl. The listing said that it was the original first pressing from 1988, but not knowing much about the band or their records I had to do some internet research to validate this claim. It turned out that the auction proved to be telling the truth. This thing has been reissued about three times, but the auction was for the original version from 1988. It was released by a label which was started/owned by an independent record shop in Birmingham, and it seems that someone recently unearthed (as they so often seem to do with records) a box of these things, so they were up on eBay for sale, and at a price less than it costs to buy new records these days. A good deal that I couldn't refuse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The clear vinyl with glossy sleeve is the Swordfish Records 2nd press. The first press has a matt sleeve, black vinyl and comes with an insert. I got my 1st press copy off Lee Dorrian and its also got a press release sheet.

Cam

mcs said...

Thanks for clarifying, Cam. I'm happy with a second press in this instance seeing as I just prefer colour vinyl. But cool that you know what's what.

JIM HAYES said...

good find! good for you!