Thursday 23 December 2010

Movielife LP on White

Did I ever by any chance mention that I collect Revelation Records vinyl? No? Really? Well, I do. I remember when I was poor back in about 2000 and they announced that they were going to be repressing some of their older records on colour vinyl, and I was like "Noooooooo!!!!" because I knew it was going to cost money. These days I'm not so poor, but i still don't like it when they repress something because it just makes me feel like they are taking a step closer to becoming one of those labels that ends up with 50 colours of every single release, making their records (and my whole collection) worthless and undesirable in the process.

The latest repress is the Movielife LP that came out in about 2000. What was weird about this originally was that there was a boat load of colour vinyl copies. Most Revelation releases had a colour vinyl limited to 200-300 or so copies at the time, but the Movielife LP came on blue and there were a whopping 750 of those suckers pressed. But now, here we are ten years later and there's two new colours available. The first repress out of the gates a white vinyl version which is limited to 309 copies:

The second colour is red and is out of 503 copies. I'd like to be able to show you what it looks like, but unfortunately I can't because I don't have one. This is because, even though Revelation made this thing, they don't have any to sell. The reason being that the red vinyl was made as an exclusive for Hot Topic , so all the red copies got sent there. "What's Hot Topic?" you may ask. Well, I wasn't sure of that either until I went to their website a couple of days ago. In their own words; "Hot Topic specializes in music and pop culture based fashion". That probably gives you a flavour of what they are about, but I don't think I can even begin to explain how bad this operation looks, so I'll just advise you have a look yourself. What I don't get though is why Revelation would pander to these people. Why make an exclusive version of one of your releases for a joke company like this to sell? Very disappointing. Even worse, after having someone convincing Revelation to make an exclusive red vinyl Movielife LP for them, Hot Topic don't even advertise that the red vinyl they have is exclusive to them. Fucking amateurs. Anyway, I'm gonna have to find one on eBay I guess. I'm not giving my money and support to this shite. Or maybe if I'm lucky some other Revelation nut like Geoff has had the sense to hoard a couple of spare red ones and they'll just send me one over :o)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hot Topic exclusives...Epitaph did the same with a couple of their recent reissues on color, for instance the Descendents - Everything sux LP. I hope Revelation will not follow the same route, and that the Movielife LP remains an exception.

geoff said...

ok i did not know rev press the red vinyl for hot topic, that really bums me out. im not a fan of the store. i have to admit im torn if i should buy it or not. there is a hot topic on the way home that i could hit up it. the downside is, im a 38 year old man and going into hot topic does not sit right with me. haha. what to do....? -geoff

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, seasoned OCD collector nerds up in arms about a yoof culture store, get over yourselves. Good work Revelation, more of this please...

Brandon said...

I have the Hot Topic red variant as well as the 10th Anniversary black put out by Mightier Than Sword Records. Now I just need the white and the blue. This is one of my favorite records and one that got me into Revelation.