Friday 17 June 2011

Neglect 'Pull The Plug'

Another hole in my colour vinyl Wreckage Records collection filled! Here's the Neglect 'Pull The Plug' 7" on green. Wreckage was a label that firmly believed in keeping their colour vinyl properly limited and hard to find. They would make like one record in every ten a colour record. I believe that this 7" on green was limited to only 200 copies:

This band was great. Pure negativity and hate. Hard as nails. I guess their 'gimmick' (if you can call it that, which you probably can't really) was that their main theme was suicide. I remember hearing stories when I was a kid about how apparently some Beatles records could be played backwards to reveal secret messages about killing yourself or some crap. Well, Neglect dispensed with this old fashioned idea of secret messages, and just got straight to the point. Their 12" was called 'End it', they had a song called 'Fuck Life', and their lyrics advocated slitting your wrists and blowing your brains out and stuff like that. If you've not heard (or heard of) this band before, then I can imagine that this may sound quite interesting, but back in the early 90s when this band was about and I first heard them, all I remember thinking to myself was "if you think suicide is so great, then why don't you stop singing & get on with it?". 16 or so years later and this is probably still a reasonable question to put to them. Haha! Anyway, since they briefly reunited in 2005 (ten years after breaking up), I'm guessing these dudes must have taken their own (much later & uncharacteristically positive) advice and decided to 'Hang On In There' after all.

3 comments:

Mark-Sandwell said...

It makes me laugh when bands go on about about topping themselves. That prick Glen Benton Diecide said he was going to kill himself when he reached 33. That was ages ago and I'm waiting for him to get on with it. Anyway yeah this was a great 7".

Alternate 1995 said...

They just reunited at the LI fest a couple weeks ago. I didn't get to see it cause I'm old and they went on at like 11 on a sunday. I heard it was good though.

Tripface also reunited, which I got to see.

Anonymous said...

The best band out of Long Island, and I can say that because I'm from there. Neglect was NO GIMMICK.