Tuesday 14 June 2011

Revelation catch up

I realised that I was a little behind with my Revelation collection a few weeks ago. I wanted to place an order in order to catch up, but at the same time I figured I should hold off on ordering until they put some of the RSD 7"s up for order, as I was missing the light yellow Burn 7". But then murphy sent me the Burn record, which effectively gave me the green light to order the other stuff that was outstanding.

The item I was least bothered about was the new album by rock / power pop band By A Thread. To be honest, I only ordered it because it is on Revelation. I got their first LP when it came out about 10 years ago, and I enjoyed that a lot back then, but the prospect of a new album in 2011 was not attractive. I guess time moves on and ten years later you wonder why you ever liked a certain band or sound at all. Well that was the case here. I was not excited by this whatsoever. The boring looking cover didn't help its cause much either.

I have to say though, this could be a contender for album of the year in my book. After I bought it I played it & gave it a chance, and my god, I am glad I did. I dunno whether the sunny weather makes a difference, but for two weeks straight I could listen to nothing else. Itunes tells me I have listened to this thing now 28 times, which is quite a lot considering I have had it less than a month and I stopped listening to it a week or so ago because I got hooked on something else. Anyway, suffice to say that this is a great, great record, and perfect for this time of year.

Next up was a hole I had to fill that really shouldn't have been there in the first place. Back in December I ordered the Past Present compilation LP, and the label sent me a black vinyl copy instead of a yellow copy. I know, I probably should have had them arrested or something, but instead I just left it a few months before finally placing another order. Anyway, I'm happy to finally have one of these things on egg yolk vinyl:

Next up, one that I would call "a repress too far". Haha! This is a repress of the Shai Hulud 7". Technically, this isn't on Revelation Records, but Crisis Records, which is (was) Revelation's sister label. But still, it has the Rev logo on the back, so I feel that I need it, even though I think this band is truly awful (sorry Juan!).

And finally, the second press of the Mouthpiece discography LP. The second press is out of 500 copies on green vinyl:

The vinyl colour is actually very similar to another classic Revelation release. I took a photo of the two together to prove my point:

It struck me that the first press of the discography was on white, and the second on this green, so I did start to wonder whether the two colours were specifically chosen as some kind of tribute to Judge. So I actually took the trouble to check this with Tim McMahon, who was kind enough to reply back & confirm that yes, I was right. So there you go. The 'Chung King white' and the 'Bringin' It Down green' were not random vinyl colour choices. And by the same logic, I would assume that if there's enough demand for a third press that we can expect to see it on clear orange. Ah well, here's to hoping...

7 comments:

Lins87 said...

you actually asked Tim that hahaha, you truly are a record nerd!!!

jhulud said...

Re: Shai Hulud...opinions vary! Ha!

mcs said...

Well, coincidentally he emailed me out of the blue about something else, so I just took the opportunity to ask cos it was on my mind. Anyhow, he confirmed I was right, and also said I was the first person to notice or mention it. So I guess if there was a prize for biggest nerd, I would have won it. So there!

mcs said...

Juan - I listened to the first LP a lot when it came out & I liked it. But it sounds very dated to me now, and is one of those records that I struggle to understand how I could ever have liked. I guess it was a time and place kinda thing.

Doug W said...

I told you the By A Thread lp was good! Fashion is one awesome song!

I am going to pass on a bit of advice you once gave me over two years ago. Slow the fuck down!

I know you want to catch up on the blog, but damn! Save some for the summer!

Mike said...

Nice job making the color vinyl connection! I would have never picked up on it.

Alternate 1995 said...

I didn't even realize that mouthpiece discography was released on green. Damn need to grab that.