Wednesday 15 June 2011

Self Destruct Release Show 7"

Why do people sell lots on eBay? I mean, seriously, what's the point? Generally it seems that people do it to get rid of records that they probably couldn't sell on their own. Yet if they aren't the ones that are desirable in the lot, then people are buying the lot for the other records. Which means that they would still pay the same price if you took away the more undesirable records from the lot. Which means that you may as well sell the good ones and just give the unsellable ones away.

Anyhow, the lot I bought recently was two copies of the first Self Destruct 7" - the release show sleeve version (which I wanted) and the regular version (which I already had). The total price for the two was £2.99. I would have paid more for the Release show version on it's own, so I thought it was a good deal.

Self Destruct were a UK band active for not very long (or so it seemed), probably circa 2006-8 or thereabouts. In my opinion, a great band, but they seemed to come along at a weird time when the UK scene that had spawned them was starting to fall to pieces. Two years prior and I think they would have gone down much better. Then again, maybe my idea of how popular they were is slightly distorted by the fact that I had moved down south and didn't really see them play more than twice. Oh yeah, they also featured old Iron Hat from Rot In Hell on drums. Just in case that gets any of you Americans more interested. I know you love Rot In Hell over there.

This 7" was released by the UK's own Dead & Gone Records (which, ironically, is now both dead and also gone!). I think that this record was one of only about three D&G releases for which there was no colour vinyl pressing at all. Which means that the only limited version was the one with the release show sleeve, of which there were only 50... and since the release show was in some shit hole northern town, I didn't go and thus wasn't able to pick one up when it came out.

The best thing about this is that the sleeve is is printed on photographic paper. I like this, because all too many sleeves are made on photocopiers, and end up deteriorating over time as the ink wears off. So it's nice to see one on quality paper which is as good as bullet proof. Come back in 25 years and this will still look as shiny as the day it rolled off the printer.

Finally... as I mentioned, I now have a spare of the regular version of this. If anyone wants it, get in touch.

4 comments:

Nab/JSY! zine said...

ha! that's a 7'' I can't get rid of! I saw them a few times when I lived in Liverpool in 2006-2007, they were good, but nobody cared, I remember the Justice/common Cause/Self Destruct show in L'Pool with very poor attendance and few people caring for them at all.

Lecky said...

They have a whole unreleased LP that was recorded before they broke up, which I think is even better than the 7"s that they did. I hope someone puts it out one day, even if it's only a tiny press run for those who care.

mcs said...

Thanjs Lecky. Great info as always!

Anonymous said...

Got to agree about selling record lots.
Some dude has been recently selling strange combinations of Integrity records, some of them rare and capable of fetching a good price if sold singular, but most lots have sold for bargain prices.
Not complaining mind as I picked a lot of 4 records for $16 just for the one 7" which usually goes for 3 times the price I paid! I'll make money shifting the rest on, his loss, my gain...