Tuesday 21 June 2011

Skull Crusher 'Blinded By Illusion' 12"

The thing that the mp3 generation are missing out on (in my opinion) is artwork. As I have probably said before, I have been drawn to some records & bands in the past by their artwork. A good cover will draw your eye to a release, and can grasp your curiosity. This record is a great example of that.

The record in question is a 12" by Skull Crusher called 'Blinded By Illusion'. It was released by Livewire Records in 2010. Unlike every other Livewire release, I initially ignored this record. Not sure why. Possibly it came out at a time when money was a little tight. I can't remember. But I recently saw the artwork somewhere on the internerd & it served as a reminder to pick this up. So I did.

The band features Ed McKirdy (owner of Livewire Records) on vocals and Gordo (of Double Cross) on drums, with some other dudes who I haven't heard of doing other stuff. For me this is a difficult record to pigeonhole. I guess it sounds like New York hardcore from an era when bands were bringing metal into hardcore. Kinda brought the Icemen 7" to mind, and maybe stuff like Cro-Mags... but with Dan O'Mahoney style vocals. Kinda interesting, kinda good in places, but also kinda average. Overall though I would say that this is alright. Not bad, but nowhere near as interesting as the cover would have you believe.

2 comments:

Mike said...

You probably skipped it because it reminded you of Hellmouth.

mcs said...

Haha! You know what, Mike? I think you probably hit the nail on the head there!