Saturday 15 October 2011

Purple = Brown

I was in a local record store (remember them?) last weekend and found the recent Youth Of Today 'Can't Close My Eyes' 12" in the rack. Since it was pretty cheap, I figured I would ask what colour it was on. I mean, when I got my copies from Revelation a couple of months ago, I was slightly disappointed to find that my 'purple' copy was kinda grey and bland looking. So I figured that I wanted one that was properly purple. Anyway, dude in the store got the record out for me, and it looked brown. So I figured I would pick it up anyway.

And here it is next to the other copy I already had. Quite a difference in colour here, wouldn't you agree?

I still kinda want one that is actually purple, but I don't want to go the extremes of buying 6 copies like Dobek did... although you have to admit, this picture does look kinda cool, right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had record stores in my town who sell new YOT records!

Dobek Ohashi said...

These records are in just about every record shop here in Tokyo. For a split second I entertained a thought of picking one up without having to pay for postage (the burning curiousity of: "I wonder what this one looks like???") but before I actually acted upon this thought I quickly turned my recently defunct common sense back on and spent the money on pizza.

Mike said...

This post, plus the picture from Dobek, makes me want to buy another copy.

matt said...

What is Rev's stance on this?

mcs said...

Rev's stance is that they did not order purple vinyl. They ordered "scrap", which is where the plant just throws in all their leftover colors in at one go... which then explains why the colors that come out can vary. However, rather than call the color "scrap", Rev decided to call it "purple". This then means that anyone who doesn't have a purple one thinks they have some weird transition type color. But the fact is that it is probably the vast minority of these records that are purple. As the photos show, they vary from brown to grey to blue to maroon to purple. So if Rev had decided not to name this pressing "purple" then it would have been less confusing. Kinda like when their discography calls the orange 'Together' 7" 'gold'. I mean, everyone knows that clear yellow is gold, not orange. Kinda interesting how a one word typo can cause so much confusion isn't it?