Sunday 8 January 2012

Sinking Ships Demo 7"

I picked up a couple of rarer Sinking Ships 7"s on eBay just before xmas. I wasn't THAT excited by them, but it looked like they were going to go for cheap, so put in a couple of lowish bids and was surprised to find that I won. I guess some bands get forgotten about quick. It took me a while to get this band, and whilst they are far from my favourite band of the past ten years, they have some really great songs. These two 7"s are a couple of rare versions of their Demo 7" that was pressed to wax by Excursion Records.

Pre-Release version. This one is numbered 2/30, and has a printed acetate front cover.

And the 2005 West Coast tour cover. Number 2/64.

Just for information, the rarest version of this 7" is known as the 'Treasure Hunt' edition. This is because, when the record came out, the label packed up ten copies and hid them in various locations around Seattle. Clues to the locations were then posted up on the Excursion website. At least one copy was buried in the ground. All copies were found and claimed years ago. I guess anyone outside of Seattle was at a slight disadvantage. Anyway, this all happened a few years ago when it came out, but if you are interested you can still view the clues to the hiding places (and where the things were eventually discovered) on the Excursion website HERE.

2 comments:

Joel said...

There's also another version numbered out of 8. They were leftover copies that the label had, so they numbered them and sold them. I had one up until a couple of months ago when I sold it.

Mike said...

Treasure Hunt? That is pretty cool.