Monday 16 July 2012

Voorhees Colour LPs

I arranged a trade a few weeks ago with Mike. He sent me a white vinyl OFF! LP and I was to send him a red vinyl copy of the Voorhees 'Spilling Blood Without Reason' LP that he'd seen on eBay. The only problem was that I didn't actually have a copy of this record myself at the time. I was aware that it existed, but for whatever reason I hadn't picked one up myself when it came out. The colour vinyl copies that were made last year constitute the third pressing of this LP, this time released by Grot Records. I was going to say that these were pressed in time for the Voorhees reunion show last year... but then I searched youtube and realised that the Voorhees reunion show was two years ago! Jesus christ, how time flies these days! Anyway, I thought these were pressed in time for this show, but now I'm not sure as I didn't think they came out two years ago. But clearly I have no idea, especially as I didn't go (because travelling more than ten miles to do anything seems like too much effort). Maybe Lecky can correct me?

This album was originally released in 1994 by good old Armed With Anger Records. The first time I ever heard it was when I did a trade with Lecky back then and he added two copies of this LP into the package. At the time I was at my Dad's house in Southend, and the copies he sent me were not for me, but to give to Rob from UNDERSTAND and Tony from ABOVE ALL. I was supposed to just pass these copies on to those dudes as a favour to Lecky, but I couldn't resist playing the record a few times first. After this I was tempted to pass on one and sneakily keep one for myself, but in the end I passed both on as I had agreed to do. I then had to buy myself a copy of the record. Pah.

This LP then went on to become a modern classic. Ten years after its initial release, it was re-pressed by Zandor records. Just like the original press on AWA, there was no colour vinyl. So, these colour copies are the first colour copies in the record's history. Yet until Mike mentioned them I wasn't really bothered. I guess that's mainly because there are a lot of reissues & repressings these days, and I'm tying to stay happy with my originals in an effort to save both money & shelf space. But as soon as Mike mentioned this, I realised that I did want them after all, mainly because it would be cool to finally own this record on colour vinyl after owning it on black for so many years. So I was lucky enough to get one of each colour.

Clear with red splatter is limited to 100 copies. I'd like to say that this was for the reunion show, but I can't be sure anymore.

Red vinyl is out of 400 copies. You can still pick this one up from the Grot records store.

One of these days I might even get Mike's copy into the mail, rather than just keeping it in a mailer on my floor. You never know. Weirder things have happened.

3 comments:

Lecky said...

It was a one time pressing of 500 for the 2010 20th anniversary reunion gigs. The 100 clear copies sold out at the Leeds gig.

J@screamingforrecords said...

' The only problem was that I didn't actually have a copy of this record myself at the time.' haha I like this trading style you have

Mike said...

The ebay listing that I'd seen was for a seller in the UK. Figured it would be easier for you to grab me a copy, instead of ordering it myself. Ha!

By the time my copy arrives and I get around to blogging it, it could be two or three months from now, so this was a nice preview.