Tuesday 28 August 2012

Cave In White Anomalies

The latest addition to my record collection is this here Cave In record, called 'Anomalies Vol 1'. It was released in December 2010 and it has taken me since then to find a white vinyl copy at a decent price ($20). Initially I wasn't going to bother with it because I was under the impression that I had all the songs on it anyway, and because the packaging looked boring. But that was when I was under the impression that all copies were on black vinyl. Then I found out that there were 100 copies on white vinyl, exclusive to Vacation Vinyl (which is Hydrahead's record store in Los Angeles), and upon seeing one of these, with minimal cover and plain white labels, I couldn't help but change my mind and add it to my wants list. And a little over a year and a half later, I finally got one.

So as I was saying, this has a very minimal look. Here's the front cover:

As it turns out, I didn't have the majority of the songs on this already. There's a song from a Japanese version of 'Until Your Heart Stops', a song from the 'Creative Eclipses' recording session, a Bad Brains cover, a Cure cover, a Black Sabbath cover (which is the only song I previously did have), a demo version of a song that was on 'Jupiter', and a Codeine cover.

The back cover is even more minimal:

The insert is a single piece of paper. Looks & feels like it just rolled out of a photocopier.

And this also comes with a Vacation Vinyl postcard, which is kinda cool.

As dumb as it may sound, this is one of the best looking records I have seen for ages. Sometimes less really is more I guess.

No comments: