Sunday 26 August 2012

Medusa Seven Test

I used to love the band Shudder To Think. They were just so different to every other band on Dischord and, in fact, to every other band I'd ever listened to. I guess at first my thoughts were that they were just weird. And then, when I started buying their records, there was one 7" that stood out as weird to me too. Weird within weird. It was a 7" called 'Medusa Seven' which was put out by a UK label. I got this from a distro and at the time the distro's description said something like 'this 7" is highly sought after in America'. I'm not sure if that was ever true or not, but it sounded good and made me think that I should buy it because if people in the States wanted it, it must be good. Ha! Anyway, that was probably in about 1994. And now, in 2012, I have picked up a test pressing from eBay.

This has a label on one side, which I can only assume is a stock pressing plant label. The other side's label is blank.

This also comes with a piece of paper which looks like the kind of thing that would be sent to radio stations or whoever else might get sent promotional copies. So I can only assume that this is one of those examples of a test doubling up as a promotional record. Anyway, the promo sheet is a nice little piece of history.

And just for completeness, here's a couple of pics of the regular version of the record.

I wonder whether this thing ever was highly sought after in America? Somehow I'm not so sure. But if any Americans did badly want this thing then I imagine I'd probably trade it away as it's not one that keeps me awake with excitement.

No comments: