Monday 3 September 2012

Ultimate Test Delivery 1

So today saw the arrival of a pretty cool package. A mailer containing 5 LP test pressings. This is part of a deal that that took a while to negotiate. The stuff was split into a couple of parcels to reduce the risk of the whole lot going missing in the mail. Anyway, this is parcel one. Not much to look at really as all the tests are in plain white dust sleeves only.

But to make the photos a little more interesting I took pictures of each test next to the sleeve of the regular copy of the release to which it relates.

First up, Revelation Records number 95. The Elliott 'False Cathedrals' LP. This was the band's second LP. To this day I still can't decide if I prefer this or their debut LP.

Second, Revelation Records number 93. Garrison 'A Mile In Cold Water'. I really liked this back when it came out. However, this is one of those records that I imagine most Revelation fans & collectors don't give a crap about, and probably neither do any of the twelve people that even liked it when it came out.

Third, Equal Vision Records number 27. This is an LP by a band called Prema entitled 'Drivel'. For those of you unfamiliar with this release, this came out as a double LP. Despite this being one of Equal Vision's least well known releases, Steve Reddy (owner of EVR) always used to cite this as his favourite record that he put out. I met him in 2005 and he said the same to me then. I would also be highly surprised if he has changed his mind in the 7 years since then, given the kind of stuff the label puts out these days.

And last, but by no means least, Equal Vision number 39 - Shift 'Get In'. I used to love this band when they were about. To this day, I am still annoyed that they never came to the UK. This was their final LP, and one which EVR had the vinyl rights to, whereas the CD came out on some major. I am probably more stoked on this one that the others if I'm honest. Sorry.

So that was today's mail. I'll post up the stuff from parcel number two whenever it shows up. Hopefully it hasn't got lost in transit...

3 comments:

Mike said...

Solid. Out of all those tests you posted, that Shift album would be the only one that I would listen to on a consistent basis.

coregasm said...

Prema... Nice. I remember when those kids first started playing as Concerned, that eventually turned into Prema. They were literally 12-14 years old and playing hardcore shows. Pretty awesome.

geoff said...

once again, wow. that elliott is one hell of a heavy hitter for me. i would could only dream of owning that.