Saturday 31 January 2015

Bold on Pink

So this thing has been on my wants list forever. I put it on there years back when I learnt that it existed, but I have never really seriously gone after one. It's rare as hell anyway, so rarely pops up for sale. But every time it did materialise, the price seemed to be too high, and at a level I considered ridiculous. But as I have got older, this has been the one Revelation variant that I have grown more and more intent on owning. I actually thought I would never get one, but this year I have decided that I need to make a big dent in my want list, so when one appeared for sale at the start of the year, I decided to make a serious play for it. A fierce auction ensued, and I don't want to go into the detail, but let's just say that it went worked out well in the end, and after a nervous couple of weeks waiting for the post office to get their asses in gear, it finally showed up in great shape.

In case you're not familiar with the story on this one, here's what the Rev discography has to say on the matter:

1st press : 3900 black vinyl, 1000 orange vinyl, 60 pink vinyl, orange/pink mixed vinyl
The color vinyl was suppose to be maroon, to match the cover, but the pressing plant couldn't mix the color properly and came up with pink. After pressing a number of the pink they stopped and tried remixing the color, this time coming up with orange. To make life easier Jordan just had them do the 1000 on orange so the mix was created when changing from pink to orange without cleaning the presses. The actual invoice states 60 on pink and makes no mention of the mix, so how many of the pure pink versus how many of the orange pink mix exist is not known, but it is safe to say that that there are more than 10 of the mix as was originally believed. What is more, did the mix of colors count as orange or pink on the invoice? So are there 60 pure pink and a number of the mix color, or are there a even fewer pure pink and a large number of mixed? To add insult to injury, the mix as been referred to as swirl when actually the pure pink, mix, and orange are all technically swirls. The only way to tell is by comparing colors.

I've had an orange copy of this thing for 20+ years now, so I pulled it out for comparison. It really does highlight the colour difference.

With this, the Sick Of It All 7" first press and red vinyl, and the War Zone 7"s on green and clear, my early Rev collection has moved up a notch in the last couple of months. The only area that still needs work is my yellow GB 7" collection, which is weak. If anyone happens to be looking to unload a light yellow or War Zone b-side label copy then hit me up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's dangerous to be willing to complete a wantlist so decisively. It's cool to complete as then you finally own it and feel a certain ease, pride and joy. But then having it nearer and nearer complete totally chances the cards also. As the goals are gone and the emotions and with getting them also... It's like a pyramid I think. Once you approach the top (or last bits of the wantlist) it's harder and harder to get something off that wantlist as there are less possibilities... I hope you stray from that 2015 wantlist attack also now and then...