Saturday 2 May 2015

Battle Ruins

I'm still catching up on 2014 releases that I have recently received, and here's one that made most peoples' 'best of' lists last year - the Battle Ruins self titled 12". The first press sold out before I even knew it was available, but I was more than ready when the second press red vinyl went up for sale.

You know the drill - this is another band from the DFJ and co. This time the band plays a mix of metal and oi, themed around the middle ages. You can probably work that out from the cover though, right?

When I first heard this I didn't understand the hype. I just couldn't get into it. But after Mike's post I pushed myself to listen to it more. And I'm glad I did. After a few more plays it really clicked with me, and before I knew it I was playing it every day. I then realised that this did deserve the hype it received, and kicked myself for being too late for the first press, just like I have been for every new DFJ band over the past few years.

Check out this photo of the band from the back cover. Dude second from the right must have the tallest head I have ever seen. Reminds me of The Mekon from Dan Dare.

4 comments:

Mark-Sandwell said...

They all seem to have long heads. Maybe they should all be in a tefal advert from the 80's.

J@screamingforrecords said...

Sandwell is right. Stipulation for joining the band maybe?

Mike said...

Nice! I'm glad that it clicked. After reading this post, I'm inspired to give it another spin.

Sean said...

such an excellent record!