Wednesday 12 August 2015

Grapefruit

I've said it before, but I've always been a fan of Saves The Day, since their first LP came out back in the late 90s. Sure, they have changed their sound a bit over the years, but no matter whether the dude sings through his mouth or his nose, the songs have always been super catchy. So when I was in the Equal Vision store buying copies of the Bane LP, I noticed that there was a new(ish) Saves The Day LP for sale and figured I'd grab it. This is the band's 8th LP, and is self-titled... although also seems to get referred to as 'the grapefruit album'. Not sure why.

When I grabbed the LP there was some kind of deal to add a 7" as well. I don't remember what the deal was, but it seemed to make sense at the time. And I thought that the 7" and LP kinda looked cool together.

Having said that I have always been a fan of Saves The Day, I have really struggled with this new sound. The last records were a little more downbeat, but with this one they have developed a sickly sweet sound with the most ridiculously nasally vocals I have ever heard. I'm going to need convincing to buy another one after this, that's for sure.

2 comments:

massivewaste said...

Checked it and it sounds like a mixture of Oasis and Blink 182. Blink was always OK, but I don´t need a poppy clone of an already Pop-Punk band.

geoff said...

i actually didnt know you were a saves the day fan. kind of cool. this record is terrible though.