Tuesday 29 September 2015

Can't Deny It

I finally got around to picking up a copy of one of the best records of the year. Turnstile released 'Non Stop Feeling' right back at the beginning of the year, in January. As is usual with Reaper Records releases, there was a whole range of colour options available, all of which looked pretty horrible. Plus I was annoyed (mainly at myself) for having so many different copies of the 7"s. So despite wanting the record, I couldn't bring myself to order it. Instead, I waited a few months until there were about twenty more versions out there and the initial hype had died down, and then picked up the rarest colour (black) on eBay for a pretty reasonable price.

As much as this is a good record, which it really is, the cover is truly awful. I mean, seriously, what is going on here? A predominantly white sleeve with a band name in multiple colours, and the record title in some crazy font. This really does look like an 80s pop record. Well, except for the picture of Joey Essex in the middle - in the 80s that would have been some chick with big hair instead.

I don't know. Perhaps in the future we will all look back at this record and realise that the cover art was years ahead of its time, rather than 30 years behind.

As a record, however, this is goddamn spot on. Super hard and super catchy. I can see how this band have become the biggest hardcore band in the world. I went to see them a little over a year ago and the crowd reaction was amazing. So much energy from both the crowd and the band. They did manage to make me feel really old though. I was just about the oldest dude in the place. I won't hold it against them though when I come to figure out the best records of the year. This will definitely be in there.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Bad record covers is Turnstile's thing. Boggles the mind how such a great band can have the worst cover designs. I do enjoy the look of the back cover for the LP though.

Anonymous said...

There are playing two shows end of November at Tufnell Park Dome and somewhere in Kingston with support from Forced Order if yo hdidnt know already!

Anonymous said...

Great to read your opinion about this. Can't actually believe you bought a black vinyl record new. Their three record covers all have a live picture on it, obviously it is hard to stay creative without starting to look too much like a youth crew cover. But they have an outstanding live reputation so I can understand why they use live pictures.