Saturday 17 October 2015

Take Control

When I went to see BURN a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a couple of 7"s from the dude who does Control Records. He had a small stall with stuff for sale, and I honed in on two of his releases, one old and one new.

First up, the new. FADE is a three piece band from the UK. I mainly bought this record because I was in the mood to try something new, and I figured it would be cool to grab the limited pre-order, blue vinyl version of the 7" while I had the chance. I'd never heard the band and had no idea what they may sound like. But I'm glad I took a chance, because this record is great.

To me, the cover looks like this could be a release from 1993. And wouldn't you know it, the record just so happens to sound like it could have come out in the early to mid 90s too.

This band sounds totally like some of the rock bands of the mid 90s that hardcore dudes did. The first song sounds to me like Man Will Surrender. The second song sounds like Godspeed. It's pretty great stuff, partly because nobody does this kind of thing anymore. In the modern era, hardcore dudes doing non hardcore is not common. Anyway, there are two original songs here and a Memorial Day cover (Memorial Day was a band that Skip from Turning Point did after Godspeed, at the end of 90s), and this record is damn good. Check it out.

The other 7" I picked up is the red vinyl pre-order version of the Beware 7". I completely missed every version of this record when it came out, and managed to grab a green vinyl copy last year, so it was cool to grab a European red vinyl pressing too.

As you can see, I got a pretty cool number. And my copy was the one on display on the table, so it was the last copy sold.

2 comments:

J@screamingforrecords said...

I kept meaning to listen to Fade but they slipped through my mental net, you making that man will surrender reference made me give them a listen. Not bad, not bad at all.

Nico said...

I was about to post Fade too. That single is so good.